Find out how much each species and each release is worth at the 2019 Los Cabos Billfish Tournament.
Striped marlin releases are worth 25 points at the 2019 Los Cabos Billfish Tournament.
For 2019, some of the eligible species in the Los Cabos Billfish Tournament had their values adjusted. For anyone expected to participate in the 2019 Los Cabos Billfish Tournament this quick review of eligible species and their point totals is a great resource.
- Eligible species include blue marlin, black marlin, striped marlin, sailfish, spearfish, yellowfin tuna, bigeye tuna, wahoo and dorado.
- The blue and black marlin minimum eligible weight is 300 pounds. Only two marlin may be weighed per day, per boat. Anglers may weigh only one marlin per day.
- Striped marlin, sailfish and spearfish are release only.
- Minimum weight for tuna, wahoo and dorado is 25 pounds.
Billfish Points Scoring
- All billfish hookups, releases and boated fish are to be reported to tournament control along with the boat name, boat number, angler name and fish species. Billfish releases should be called in after the fish is let go. Boated fish should be called in once the fish is on board.
- Three hundred (300) points awarded for every blue or black marlin officially released, or 1.5 points per pound for every blue or black marlin weighed and verified at or over the 300-pound minimum.
- Twenty-five (25) points for any striped marlin, spearfish or sailfish officially released.
Underweight Marlin at the Docks
If a blue or black marlin brought to the scales fails to make the minimum weight limit, the team that caught the fish will be penalized 300 points, plus two points per pound that the fish is under the minimum weight. For example, if a fish weighs 280 pounds, that team will be penalized 300 points for not meeting the weight requirement and another 40 points for the 20-pound difference. The total penalty would cost them 340 points, and they would receive no other points for the fish. Any blue or black marlin boated for any reason must be weighed. Failure to weigh a boated blue or black marlin will result in immediate disqualification for the remainder of the tournament and forfeiture of all points previously earned.